- New Thornlie course will be measured by Steve Weller, so will count for road ‘bests’
- Race Directors – Herdsman now Claire Walkley, City Rail now Rod Hamilton, Racecourse still needs a Director
- State Championships were very successful. The time for throwing events was greatly reduced by the extensive use of EDM’s. Agreed with AWA that one of the EDM’s purchased for World Champs will remain at ECAC for use by any of the clubs based there.
- Our nine athletes who attended the very well organized indoor World Champs in South Korea performed exceptionally well setting many State Records and nine Australian Records
- New track suit tops have arrived and are proving popular
- The Nationals LOC held a second meeting. Priority activities are to complete venue bookings, send out a sponsorship proposal, select a venue for the dinner and produce a flyer for promoting the event in Darwin.
- Robin King leaves the committee after taking a new job in the north of the State.
- Campbell Till joins the committee and will take overall responsibility for Track and Field activities. We welcome Campbell to this important role, and are sure you will give him your full support
- We have moved the website to a new host and given it a fresh new look. This has greatly improved performance for the website administrators. We thank long-term MAWA friend Ernie Leseberg for all his work.
- Deliver of the MAWA jacket orders is awaited
- Membership sits at 534, very strong for so early in the year
- Track and Field was off to a slow start in 2017 with athletes still recovering from their efforts at World Champs. However State Champs entry at 183 is very healthy.
- The winter programme will be at both venues in the lead up to Nationals in early June. After that it will be ECAC only.
- The new steeples at ECAC have become cracked and warped. The supplier will replace the wooden beams with steel-framed
- The committee approved MAWA nominees for AMA awards and these are listed on the website.
– since 2017 membership started in early December we have had 223 renewals and 36 new members
– our risk management plan will be updated, particularly to encompass any new requirements related to our wheelchair athlete. Revised procedures will be sent to Race Directors
– the new roster for morning teas in 2017 is complete
– numbers at T & F meetings are still low
– State Championship entry form will be on the website last week in January with closing date 2nd March. All entries must be online. All events will be at ECAC with the exception of Pole Vault. This year athletes belonging to non-MAWA clubs can enter as that club and wear the club uniform. An information note giving event dates will be produced before entries open
– a committee to run the 2018 Nationals is being formed and will hold its first meeting in February. Date is not quite finalised but will be late April or early May, which should suit athlete preparations for World Championships in Spain in September
– approval given to purchase new discuses
– 50 MAWA jackets have been ordered – no hurry to put on the MAWA shop, as there is likely to be little interest until autumn
– new affiliation arrangement with AWA will give all MAWA members public liability and personal accident insurance at MAWA sanctioned events
– Agreed that Wheelsie Keillor can join the club and participate in MAWA road events, but our risk management plan will need to be updated
– In the aftermath of World Championships, numbers at Track and Field meetings have been very low. New steeples now in place at ECAC, and two steeplechase events will be held there in the new year
– All 2017 State Championship events, apart from the Pole Vault, will be held at ECAC. Entry fees to remain unchanged from 2016. Dates are on the website
– Decided that the Australian National Championships in Perth in 2018 will be held between 26th and 29th April. Dates around Easter will not work because of a clash with the Commonwealth Games on the Gold Coast
– ECAC has been booked for the Heavy Weight Pentathlon on Sunday 22nd January. VenuesWest have banned the use of Heavy Weight implements at WAAS, except for State and National Championships
– New MAWA jacket will need to sell for around $90. A modest number will be ordered initially to gauge how popular they are
– New steeples for ECAC have arrived, and steeplechase events this summer will be split between WAAS and ECAC
– Membership stands at 686. 2017 membership opens 1st December and it will be of key interest to see how many of our 353 temporary members for Worlds decide to take full membership
– Membership fees to remain unchanged for 2017
– Decided in future not to charge for morning teas
– Yokine GOT will replace Hale School next year – new race director needed
– Sample of proposed MAWA jacket will be made in order to gauge member interest
– Date for the Perth Nationals in 2018 is required by end year. The committee is considering moving away from Easter and is looking at late April
– Richard Blurton to attend AMA AGM in Melbourne on 17th/18th September
– Presentation breakfast at WAMC was a success and will be repeated next year
– Agreed that next Vetrun will canvass views on the safety of Jorgensen for our X-country championships
– Final draft of 2017 Sunday Programme was agreed – will now go for local council approvals and be published by November
– The short run championship will follow the same pattern as the long run, using short runs in September and October
– Ponchos will be provided for helpers at Sunday runs
– The coaching grant of $1000 has been received from AMA
– A Saturday track meet in September is possible but only if we have a volunteer to organise it
– Award nominees for John Gilmour Trophy and Achievement Awards were approved
- Membership has increased to 624 at end June
- 2017 Sunday programme has now been clash checked with the Marathon Club, and is essentially complete, subject to local council approval
- Coaching 3 month trial has gone very well, and arrangements will be made to continue for the remainder of the year
- 2017 MAWA State T &F Championships main weekend will be 8th/9th April at ECAC. The Nationals in 2017 are in Darwin, (for the first time), in June
- Because of the World Championships, there will be no Patron’s Trophy this year
- Consideration is being given to a Saturday track meeting at ECAC ahead of World Championships
- MAWA is proposing a Motion to AMA that will allow non-members to qualify for Australian Masters records
- Membership is over 600 for the first time in our history
- The MAWA coaching sessions are going well with typically 5 – 10 members at each
- Joan Pellier will be Race Director for Cross Country with Jim away
- A commercial coffee van is now attending selected Sunday runs
- Russell Smith’s iron-on numbers can now include member name
- AMA have asked State views on continuing Postal Relays. Ours will be that despite our best efforts we cannot get enough support.
- Website menus have been rationalised and improved
- T-shirt sales have proved popular and so they have been added to the MAWA shop options. Uniform sales through the shop are going well
- Preparations are underway for the AGM in September. Nominations for Life Membership must be submitted to Club Secretary by early August. Nomination slips for committee positions are now available. All nominations must be signed by a proposer and a seconder
- The possibility of providing accident insurance cover for all members is being re-visited
- The Strategy Sub-Committee has made some recommendations to improve the road progamme which the committee have adopted: 1. A Road Running Championships for short runners will be introduced with 3 distances up to 6 or 7km. 2. To ensure interest and variety we will aim to introduce a new run each year, initially dropping at least one of the many runs at Burswood/McCallum. For 2017 we already have Woodbridge in Midland instead of East Perth, and we may make one other change
– John Oldfield has notified us that he will step down from his role on the track and field database after the 2017 Nationals in June that year. Any member interested in taking over from John should contact the committee
– Nick Miletic and Gail Castensens will be Race Director for both Bibra Lake and 3P’s. Committee agreed to drop 16k walk at 3P’s. New Race Directors are needed in 2017 for Gwelup and Perry Lakes – anyone interested contact the committee
– New hammer cage at ECAC will be constructed in May, and confirmed MAWA contribution of $5000.
– Uniform samples will be available at every Sunday run so members can ascertain their size before online purchase. Confirm that members not comfortable with online purchasing can make a cash purchase through John Allen at Sunday runs.
– Tickets for the September camp will be purchasable from the MAWA online shop
– Constitution amendments will be quite extensive to concur with new Government Rules of Association. The amendment will include the revision to the process for electing committee members previously reported. Committee members are too busy with Perth 2016 to deal with this before this year’s AGM.
– Geoff Brayshaw chaired the first meeting of the MAWA Strategy sub-committee
– City of Canning have repaired the waterjump steeple at ECAC but have no intention of purchasing a set of steeples. Curtin also have no interest. Committee decided that MAWA cannot justify purchasing a set of 4 steeples based on the number of steeplechasers and the likely usage.
– City of Canning are introducing new charges for floodlights and to cover costs winter track fees will increase to $5, ($7 for visitors).
– MAWA online shop is working well. Tickets for future weekend camps will be sold via the shop. John Allen has offered to help members unable to shop online with their purchases.
– Approximately 120 new uniforms have been sold. Singlet samples will be carried with Sunday equipment, but all purchases will be online.
– Plans for MAWA coaching sessions are being finalised. Details will be put on the website in mid April
– Changes to the constitution are proposed in order to a) comply with new Government Rules of Associations and b) to change the procedures for nominating for committee positions. These will be put to the AGM in September